24th International Conference of Adults Learning Mathematics
ALM 24 will be held in Rotterdam, The Netherlands, from July 2nd to July 5th, 2017. The focus of this three day conference will be on several international themes in mathematics and numeracy education for (young) adults.
Click on the items below for more information:
The conference will take place in Rotterdam, Holland’s second biggest city and Europe’s largest port. Rotterdam is known for its innovative ambitions, multicultural population and a hands-on and no-nonsense approach to work, education and life in general. This Rotterdam mentality will reflect in the conference organisation and in the overall theme: All hands-on math.
We especially welcome professionals who work with dedication and inspiration on mathematics and numeracy for (young) adults.
The overall theme of ALM 24 is: All Hands-on Math
Conference themes are:
- All Hands-on Math: Examples of inspiring and practical mathematical activities for adults
- Mathematics in and for the Workplace
- Future Trends in Adults Learning Mathematics
- Mathematical APPlications for Adult Education
- Critical Mathematics in a Post-Truth Era
We are delighted to introduce the following confirmed plenary speakers:
- Prof. Ionica Smeets, University of Leiden, The Netherlands
- John Poppelaars MA, Bearingpoint, Amsterdam, The Netherlands
- Dr. Stefan Buijsman, University of Stockholm, Sweden
- Prof. Diana Coben, Waikato University, New Zealand
- Prof. Kathy Safford-Ramus, Saint Peter’s College, Jersey City, New Jersey, USA
More information on the plenary lectures can be found here.
- Frederike Bos BA (Steunpunt basisvaardigheden, NL)
- Prof. Diana Coben (Waikota University, NZ)
- Kooske Franken MA (ROC Albeda College, NL) – Secretary
- Dr. Kees Hoogland (SLO, NL) – Chair, ALM-Trustee
- Dr. Terry Maguire (National Forum, Ireland)
- Drs. Rianne Reichardt MPM (Steunpunt Taal en rekenen mbo, NL)
- Peter Siemann (ROC Albeda College, NL)
- Ir. Rinske Stelwagen (CINOP, NL) – Vice-Chair
The members of the local Organising Committee are:
- Suzanne Verveer (Albeda)
- Kooske Franken (Albeda)
- Lydia Kist (Albeda)
- Rinske Stelwagen (CINOP)
- Kees Hoogland (SLO)
The conference organisation invites practitioners, researchers and policy makers to share their (classroom) experiences, research results, and policy matters on ALM24 with an international audience by submitting proposals for poster presentations (A0-format), paper or other short presentations (20 min.), discussion or short workgroup sessions(45 min.), and long workshop sessions (90 min.) to the Programme Committee of ALM24 on Sunday evening, April 2nd, 2017, at the latest.
You can download the proposal form, complete it, and submit your proposal to the Programme Committee (ALM24 at slo.nl)
To be accepted as presenter, you have to be a conference participant. Registration will be available from March 1st, 2017.
Around the conference venue there is ample opportunity for accommodation in several price ranges.
Suggestions and special offers can be found here.
Registration for the conference will open at March1, 2017
Registration will start at March 1st, 2017.
Registration and payment will be electronical (iDeal and credit card).
Accommodation is not included in the registration.
For accommodation suggestions, please see the Accommodation tab below.
The call for proposals for contributions is already out!
More information on travelling in the Netherlands can be found here.
The organisation ALM provides the opportunity for bursaries to practitioners and researchers from institutions involved in Adults Learning Mathematics with limited resources to visit international conferences such as ALM24.
You can download the Bursary Form 2017 here.
For additional questions please contact ALM directly by e-mailing to firstname.lastname@example.org.
The conference will start with a welcoming reception on Sunday July 2nd, 2017 from 16.00 to 19.00, with an optional dinner afterwards.
The first full day of the conference, Monday July 3rd, will focus on practitioners’ experiences and will be concluded with a BBQ.
The second full day of the conference, Tuesday July 4th, will focus on developments in Adults Learning Mathematics and will conclude with the Annual General Meeting of ALM-members and the traditional conference dinner.
The third day, Wednesday July 5th, will have a morning programme with lectures, presentations, and workshops. The conference will close after lunch at 14.00.
Please send your name and the name of your organization to ALM2017@albeda.nl and we will keep you informed on further information and announcements.